Ideal Power Inc., pioneering the development and commercialization of the highly efficient and broadly patented B-TRAN™ bidirectional semiconductor power switch, reported results for its third quarter ended September 30, 2023.
“We executed to plan again in the third quarter as we introduced our SymCool™ IQ intelligent power module and completed shipments to all the large companies in our test and evaluation program. We’re also thrilled with our advancement into Phase II of the program with a top 10 global automaker. The advancement into Phase II is customer validation of the performance of B-TRAN™ and its potential impact in improving EV range and cost,” said Dan Brdar, President and Chief Executive Officer of Ideal Power.
Brdar continued, “In response to customer requests, we began providing high-volume quotes to large test and evaluation program participants. Participants in the program have expanded their plans for B-TRAN™ to include additional applications for our technology. Overall, the third quarter continued to underscore our across-the-board progress on our B-TRAN™ commercialization roadmap for the IGBT market, a market expected to grow at an 11% compound annual growth rate over the next three years to reach $11 billion in 2026.”
Key Third Quarter and Recent Operational Highlights
- Secured Phase II of our development program with a top 10 global automaker. Ideal Power is ahead of schedule having completed 3 of the 5 Phase II deliverables. The delivery of production-ready B-TRAN™ based modules for this program continues to be targeted for 2025.
- Added SymCool™ IQ to our commercial product offerings. The SymCool™ IQ product provides a low-loss, bidirectional solution complete with built-in intelligent controls for several of our key market segments including renewable energy, energy storage, UPS/data center, electric vehicle charging and other industrial power control applications.
- Completed shipments to large companies in the B-TRAN™ test and evaluation program including a top 10 global automaker, a global Tier 1 automotive supplier, a leading provider in the solar industry, two Forbes Global 500 power management companies, a global provider of backup power and energy management solutions with more kits to follow for additional and new program participants.
- Added a global European-based global power conversion and energy storage supplier with over $500 million in annual sales to the roster of the B-TRAN™ test and evaluation program. This global supplier presents multiple opportunities for Ideal Power as they address three of our target markets: UPS systems for data centers, renewable energy and energy storage.
- Completed volume shipments of packaged B-TRAN™ devices to DTI, our NAVSEA program collaboration partner. We fulfilled all our obligations under our subcontract with DTI for this program.
- B-TRAN™ Patent Estate: Currently at 77 issued B-TRAN™ patents with 33 of those issued outside of the United States and 36 pending B-TRAN™ patents. Current geographic coverage includes North America, China, Japan, South Korea, India, and Europe, with pending coverage in Taiwan.
Third Quarter 2023 Financial Results
- Development revenue in the third quarter of 2023 was $1,557.
- Operating expenses in the third quarter of 2023 were $2.8 million compared to $1.8 million in the third quarter of 2022 due primarily to increased research and development spending.
- Net loss in the third quarter of 2023 was $2.7 million compared to $1.7 million in the third quarter of 2022.
- Cash used in operating and investing activities in the third quarter of 2023 was $1.9 million compared to $1.6 million in the third quarter of 2022.
- Cash used in operating and investing activities in the first nine months of 2023 was $5.6 million compared to $4.7 million in the first nine months of 2022.
- Cash and cash equivalents totaled $10.8 million at September 30, 2023.
- Ideal Power had no long-term debt outstanding at September 30, 2023.
The Company is actively engaged with multiple customers in each of its key target markets. Ideal Power completed all of its first nine months of 2023 milestones and is on track to achieve its remaining 2023 milestones. Our 2023 milestones and their status are:
- Launched first commercial product in January 2023, the SymCool™ Power Module, a B-TRAN™ multi-die module. First commercial sales later in 2023.
- Completed Phase I of multi-year development program with top 10 global automaker in the second quarter of 2023.
- Completed first engineering run with production fab in the second quarter of 2023.
- Delivered packaged B-TRAN™s to DTI under the NAVSEA program in the first half of 2023.
- Commenced customer shipments to B-TRAN™ test and evaluation participants in the second quarter of 2023.
- Introduced second commercial product, an intelligent power module, in the third quarter of 2023.
Original – Ideal Power